Wednesday, January 23, 2019

A Visit to Somerset, Kentucky

In 1792, Martin Turpin (my 5th great-grandfather, and son of Solomon Turpin) and his family moved from Gap Valley, Virginia to Madison County, Kentucky. By the time he applied for his Revolutionary War pension, he was living in Pulaski County, Kentucky.

In 2018, while preparing for a road trip to West Virginia, I noticed that I would be driving through Somerset, Kentucky--the county seat of Pulaski County. Remembering that Martin had lived in this area, I Googled "Martin Turpin Kentucky" and found a Kentucky Kindred Genealogy article entitled, "Revolutionary War Soldiers of Pulaski County" (hopefully the link is still active). In this article, a monument at the Pulaski County courthouse is featured, and on its plaque the name "Martin Turpin" is included in a list of Revolutionary War veterans. I made my plans to stop to see this marker, and the following video tells about that visit.