Friday, March 8, 2019

A Visit to McDowell County

In the fall of 2018, I had the opportunity to revisit my childhood home--McDowell County, West Virginia. The Turpin family's connection with this area began in 1932.

In 1932, King Turpin, Jr. moved to McDowell County with his wife, Nellie, and their children. They settled in the Kimball area. The Turpins stayed in the home of Charlie and Bertha Gary, but they spent a lot of time at William Church's home on Rock House Mountain. Not long after their arrival, Nellie died from giving birth to twins, who also died within thirty days of their mother's death.

Before the end of 1932, King married Bertha Lee Church, the daughter of William Church. Almost a year later, Bertha gave birth to my father, Jim Turpin. A more detailed account is given in my book entitled, A Man Called King.

Most of Jim's childhood memories were of life on Rock House Mountain. He lived there, other places and Laurel Hollow (above Carswell Hollow) up to the time of his marriage to Betty Turpin in 1954. Jim and Betty's second home was in Carswell, and that was my first childhood home after my birth in 1958.

The following video features highlights from my quick 2018 tour of Welch, Kimball and Carswell.