Thursday, March 19, 2009

The Irish Ancestry of Elizabeth Russell

Martin Turpin married Elizabeth Russell in Knox County, Tennessee in 1805. Elizabeth has a rich ancestry extending back into Northern Ireland and by some accounts, even into biblical times.

The following article addressing the Irish part of Elizabeth’s lineage is comprised of many bits and pieces that I have compiled over the past thirty years. Unfortunately, in my earlier work on this project, I was not always good at documenting my sources. Please seek to verify this account before citing it as absolute fact.

Andrew Russell, Sr. Andrew Russell, Sr. was born 1716 in Northern Ireland.  His parents are not yet known, but we do know that he had a brother named William.

Andrew came to America from Ireland, passing first through Lancaster County, Pennsylvania. He and his family settled on Christian's Creek, Augusta County, Virginia as early as 1735. He was an agent for "Beverly," the British Governor or land agent in Virginia at that time.

Andrew Russell, Sr. married Florence Henderson, daughter of John Henderson and Rose Finley, in Beverly Manor. Andrew and Florence had the following children:

  • Joshua (born about 1738)
  • Andrew,  Jr. (born October 28, 1740)
  • Robert (baptized August 15, 1742)
  • John (baptized February 24, 1748)
  • Martha (Baptized April 24, 1749) 

Andrew Russell, Sr. and his wife, Florence, conveyed to their son, Joshua, 150 acres on Christian's Creek in Beverley Manor, part of 496 acres conveyed by Beverley to Andrew, September 24th in the 1740s [Source: Lyman Chalkley's Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia; extracted from the original court records of Augusta County, Virginia, 1745-1800.  Baltimore: Genealogical Publishing, 1966, p. 384].

Andrew, Sr. died before November 20, 1780.

Andrew Russell, Jr. Andrew Russell, Jr. was born on October 28, 1740.  He first married a woman named Margaret Christian on May 25, 1762.  We do not yet have a record of any children born of that union.

Later Andrew, Jr. married Elizabeth White by whom the following children were born:

  • Elizabeth (born about 1782 in Virginia)
  • Matthew
  • Mary
  • Ann
  • William
  • John
  • Jean
  • James
  • Andrew
  • Alexander

[Source: http://www.familysearch.org]

Andrew Russell, Jr.'s last will and testament, dated July, 1803 (State of Tennessee, Knox County) reads as follows:

"The last Will and Testament of Andrew Russell was produced to court for probate, whereupon William Gillespie and William Henderson two of the subscribing witnesses thereto, made oath
that they saw the said Andrew Russell sign, seal publish and declare the same to be his last will and testament, and that he was at the time of publishing the same of sound and perfect mind
and memory, to the best of their knowledge and belief, which will is ordered to be recorded, and is in these words to wit.
"In the Name of God Amen, This 5th day of May in the year of our Lord 1803, I Andrew Russell of Augusta County and State of Virginia, being at this present time... (?) in body tho' in... (?) reason and knowing not how soon death may take hold of me. I think it necessary to make my last will and testament, when it shall please God to remove me I commend my spiritual part into
his hands, through the merits of his Son my Saviour Jesus Christ and my body to the earth to be desently buried in hope of a joyfull resurrection, and my worldly estate both real and personal I dispose of in the following manner.
"... (?) I give and bequeath unto my dearly beloved wife Elizabeth Russell my dwelling house together with genteel... (?) washing and lodging during her natural life, and also five pounds of Virginia money.  Also I give and bequeath unto my son Matthew Russell (or his heirs or assigns) my negro... (?)  Also I give and bequeath unto my son William Russell or to his heirs or assigns my two negros Hannah and Rachel.  Also I give and bequeath unto my daughter Ann Russell twenty five pounds money to her heirs or assigns.  Also I give and bequeath unto my son John Russell my boy three years old... (?), to him his heirs or assigns.  Also I give and bequeath unto Elizabeth Russell my daughter forty pounds money a good horse saddle and bridle a good bed and furniture.  Also I give and bequeath unto my daughter Jean Russell forty pounds money of good horse saddle and bridle a good bed and furniture.  Also I give and bequeath unto my son James Russell one horse worth one hundred dollars. Also I give and bequeath unto my son-in-law James Robertson one hundred... )?).  Also I give and bequeath unto my son Andrew Russell and Alexander Russell jointly my plantation and land in Augusta County, my negro Bob, my stock of cattle, sheep and hogs, household furniture and farming essentials, and all my other property of every kind after the above legacies are discharged, to them their heirs... (?) and assigns forever.  Also I give and bequeath unto my son Matthew Russell my... (?) mare.  Also I give and bequeath unto my grandson Andrew Russell my... (?) year old colt.  I likewise constitute nominate and appoint Matthew Russell, Andrew Russell and Alexander Russell my
sons to be the whole executors to this my last will and testament, and I renounce all manner of will or wills made by me anytime heretofor, ratifying and confirming this and no other to be my last will and testament, under my hand and seal the date above."

Andrew Russell, Jr. died 1803 in Tennessee.

Elizabeth Russell. Elizabeth Russell was born about 1782 in Virginia.  She married Martin Turpin on October 28, 1805 in Knox County, Tennessee.

[Sources: Judy Dill, dmerlin@wesnet.com; Lyman Chalkley's Chronicles of the Scotch-Irish Settlement in Virginia; extracted from the original court records of Augusta County, Virginia, 1745-1800.  Baltimore:  Genealogical Publishing, 1966, p. 384; Mary McPherson; John T. Strunk, Interview with John T. Strunk; Joan Turpin, Turpin Workbook]