Monday, November 2, 2009

A Famous First Cousin, One Time Removed

I just discovered that I have a somewhat famous first cousin, one time removed. Her name is Amanda Jane Raby Pearson.

Amanda is the daughter of Rosie/Rosa Bell Turpin who married Charles Raby, and Rosie was the daughter of my great-grandfather, King Turpin, and his first wife, Sarah Morrow.

I first heard about Amanda through my great-aunt, Laura Turpin. Aunt Laura told me that she had a niece who had seven sets of twins plus several other children! However, she never told me the name of the niece, and I did not understand her significant place in history until today.

According to Time Magazine's website, with the birth of Amanda's seventh consecutive set of twins on July 21, 1961, she broke the U.S. record for consecutive births of twins.